Sunday, May 4, 2014

An unexpected gift delivered...Becoming Two+A Crew

April 16th 2014- The birth story!

The night before the c-section Phil's mom came to our house to help with the triplets and to be here when we had to leave in the morning to get to the hospital for the C-section. My mom also came to help for a bit. We got trio to bed and Phil went to work as planned. At about 8 my mom went home and that left Grandma P and Mommy in charge! :) Daddy called soon after and let us know he was getting off work early! Everyone at his work knew he was having a baby the next morning so they allowed him to sign out early and come home to get some rest! The next morning we woke and got ready to leave for the hospital. I was very nervous at this point. I have had 23 major surgeries in my life but I always get nervous when they are going to put me to sleep. I was also nervous I wasn't going to know my nurses and they wouldn't know me. Luckily when we got to the hospital I was surprised to learn I knew both the nurses in charge of my C-section! They had taken care of me during my stay with the triplets and I was much happier. They prepped me for surgery and it became a waiting game. Once I was all prepared the doctor came in and said we were ready to go.  They wheeled me back to the operating room and told family to wait there. Unfortunately because I was going to have to have general anesthesia nobody was allowed in the delivery. Once in delivery I was introduced to all the people taking care of me and baby. The anesthesiologist had me drink some disgusting juice to help my stomach stay clear, then it was time to go to sleep. At 1:02pm on April 16th, 2014 Johnathan Michael entered the world weighing in at 6lb 15oz and 19 1/2 inches long! The next thing I remember is waking up and being asked if I was ready to hold my baby. I said "NO, I don't want to!" I was afraid I was not awake enough and I would drop him. They insisted I hold him and carry him to the room where we'd be staying! It is policy that mom carry baby with her if baby is healthy enough. I finally came around enough and was able to feel comfortable carrying him and they tucked him in my arms and off we went to the room.  Johnathan was perfect in every way and now it was time to focus on Mommy recovering and baby learning to eat.  The next several days we did just that. Mommy was recovering very nicely aside from being still very swollen and weak.  Johnathan on the other hand seemed to be nursing ok, but struggled to latch and turns out he was struggling to keep his weight up.  He ended up losing 10% of his weight before being discharged. We kept visitors to a minimum, only allowing family, a couple special NICU nurse friends and our photographer to visit. Despite Johnathan's feeding challenge we were discharged together on April 19th, 2014! The Day before Easter! What a special Easter gift to bring home a baby to our little crew!


No comments:

Post a Comment