Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Katelynn Rose...

Monday August 19th, 2013 marked the 2 year anniversary of bringing home our first baby girl.  The day we call "NICU Gotcha Day".  On this day two years ago, Katelynn left the NICU with her excited parents, to go home and be with her brother who had left the NICU the month before. As we left the NICU this time with another baby emotions were different. We weren't the nervous parents that left with their first baby.  We were the petrified parents leaving with a baby, who some doctors weren't sure was ready! We as her parents advocated for her to leave as we knew she was ready! We are so thankful that Katelynn came home 2 years ago on August 19th! She was definitely ready!

Katelynn is an energetic, fun-loving, natural leader. She loves to curl up with anyone and read a book. Katelynn loves to sing her ABC's and count! She loves her Elmo "moonies" (movies) and will request such movies any chance she gets.  She tries to charm Mommy and Daddy into it most days (it only works rarely since we don't allow tons of tv!) She is very motherly and is often seen comforting her brother or sister. She will often play dolls, dressing and feeding them and caring for them like a mother.  She enjoys walking and exploring.  Katelynn loves to go outside and pick flowers or play in the dirt. She also has a knack for helping Mommy or the Nanny to get rid of any bug that might come by for a visit! Katelynn is all girl, with a little bit of dirt under her nails!

We can't wait to see what this little girl will do with her wit, charm and larger than life personality!


Celebrating "NICU Gotcha Day 2013"

As is the custom in our family we celebrate the day each of the babies came home from the NICU. 
This is a celebration just for that child. Since they all share a birthday we wanted a celebration for each of them to have their own special day that celebrates who they are in this family.

Katelynn's "NICU Gotcha Day" wish was to see "fishies".  So Mommy and Daddy loaded her up and took her to the best place we knew to see lots of "fishies".  Before we got to our destination we had to start our day out with a celebration with Grammy and brother and sister. We went to the pet parade in Olympia. It was fun to see all the silly dressed dogs, cats and even a few bunnies and ponies. After we dropped Grammy, Ethan and Melissa off with Boppa we drove to Point Defiance Zoo.

At the zoo we stopped and got a pizza lunch, then the fun began! We'll let Katelynn tell her story from here! We walked and walked and walked all over the zoo! Since we just went to the zoo a few weeks ago in Seattle Mommy and Daddy looked for things I didn't see the last time! We were in luck! This zoo had a kids zone that had some fun animals like meerkats, frogs and insects! This zoo also had an amazing aquarium! I got to see tons of new critters like otters, sharks, fish, sea horses and a walrus!  I got really close to the glass in the aquarium and looked at everything. I even did that at the walrus tank. He liked that! He got really close to me and tried to kiss me through the glass! I did not like that! It scared me a little bit and I let out a little bit of a scream! I was ok though. Mommy and Daddy came to my rescue and I survived the close encounter!

After we had walked quite awhile and I was getting a little tired we stopped to take a little break! Mommy saw an ice cream stand that looked kinda good! We stopped and got a cherry/vanilla swirl cone! YUM! Daddy held me while Mommy enjoyed her ice cream but I wanted to enjoy some too so I kept trying to jump out of his lap to get some! I was successful lots of times! I even ate ice cream upside down once because I surprised daddy with my ice cream snatching skills! He didn't think I'd lunge for it!

When the ice cream was gone, we had to decide what to see next! We walked and saw some of the outdoor animals. Not a lot of them were out because it was a warm day.  When we had enough fun walking the zoo our last stop was to get a souveniour for the day! I looked and looked and looked for something I wanted to take home from the zoo. Finally I came upon the perfect thing! I got a stuffed Walrus! I call him Wally! I'll always remember my close encounter with that crazy kissing walrus.

It was a wonderful day for celebrating! Happy Gotcha Day to me! I'm glad I made it through 82 days in the NICU!




No comments:

Post a Comment